The RGS-IBG Participatory Geographies Research Group (PYGYRG) is pleased to offer an annual prize of £100 for an undergraduate dissertation that examines a social justice theme and/or involves a participatory methodology.
*** Deadline: 15th July 2021 ***
Reflective of the scale and type of research carried out at undergraduate level, we are eager to encourage and reward both excellent scholarship and innovation which includes any of the following:
- Employs a participatory methodology
- Engages with participatory research literature
- Works with people, communities, or non-profit groups
- Explores social justice, community activist, social enterprises, or NGOs/CSOs
- Addresses issues of exclusion and marginalisation
- Involves minority or vulnerable groups
- Incorporates tangible outcomes for community groups/NGOs
Nominated dissertations should: be a strong theoretical and/or empirical piece of work; be submitted for formal assessment in the current academic year to a UK Higher Education Institution for a BA/BSc level geography degree programme; include a full set of references and images (as relevant); be written in English.
To nominate a student:
- Submit their dissertation as a single pdf file with a post-September email and contact address for the student
- Provide a statement (minimum a short paragraph – maximum 1-page A4) that summarises in which respects the dissertation engages with a social justice theme and/or involves a participatory methodology
We are keen to contact students directly so that we can follow up winners and ask them to provide us with blog entries and short summaries for our website, hence asking for a post-September email address for the student. Please let nominees know that they have been nominated.
Please send submissions to PyGyRG Dissertation Co-Ordinator Francesca Fois at firstname.lastname@example.org